Sunday, November 13, 2005

In which our hero gives up hiphop dancing and becomes a model.

Last night the hip hop fun ran dry and after about 45 minutes of squeezing through the bodies and dancing half-heartedly, I left to read George Saunders in bed. Mr Saunders writes short stories which are totally incredible and hillarious and I totally urge the world to find his books and read them. In fact there is a story from the New Yorker here which is most likely recommended, although I haven't read it yet because I am running out of net time and have run completely out of 10 Baht pieces to feed the machine which keeps it going.

Also last night there was a young American man standing in the middle of the noise and crowds of Kao Sahn road clutching a bible and trying to preach the message of God to all of the sinning tourists. Which I found adorable, of course.

Today I have been drinking a lot of fresh orange juice.

I have decided to head to Ko Chang, which means Elephant Island, for about 9 days or so, starting tomorrow. Thus, blog updates may be reduced in frequency, but will likely be filled with florid description of jungles and mosquitoes. Originally my plan was to go straight on from there after about 3 weeks, to Cambodia, which is very close, but things are likely changing, again:

You see, last night, quite near to the Christian missionary, I got offered a job, one which I am totally going to take. The job involves being a 'model' for a whiskey company, which means being caucasian and male, standing in a Scotland Yard uniform (kilt, etc) and 'guarding' a couple of kegs of alcohol in the middle of a Bangkok square for a promotion of their new product. It's gonna be kinda like Lost in Translation (!), except with me not being as brilliant as Bill Murray. I gotta do 8 shifts over five days, which means some days working 8 hours on, one hour off, 7 hours on, some crazy shit like that. But, by Thai standards, the money is good, and goddamn do I need the cash right now. I also imagine its going to be unbearably hot in a kilt, but, ha, it'll be a learning experience, something to tell the pups, etc, etc.

2 comments:

  1. you crazy kid you!
    good to see you're still makin the most of life, stokes! of course, you realise you will have to post a photo of the whole kilted/bill murrayesque experience.
    x
    fe

    ReplyDelete
  2. woo hoo, that is very funny indeed. in related news, i wandered around the city late on friday night and decided to buy lost in translation, which certainly is a nice film. looking forward to hearing about l'expérience murray...

    ReplyDelete